Friday, July 26, 2013

summer scones



To counter the dreary rainy weather we've been experiencing here in New England, I woke up this grey morning and baked a batch of lemon-cherry scones. I'm calling them "Summer Scones" because cherries are in season right now, and the lemon adds a zingy flavor that really perfumes the scones and wakes me up.

Lemony Cherry "Summer" Scones

2 Cups self-rising flour (or substitute: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter, cold and diced
1 Tbs granulated sugar

1/3 cup fresh cherries, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbs granulated sugar

1/2 cup + 1 Tbs soymilk or buttermilk or milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Yields ~10.

Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, 1 Tbs of sugar. Crumble in the cold butter either using a food processor or by hand. In a separate bowl, mix the chopped fresh cherries, 1 Tbs of sugar, and lemon zest. Then, mix the first two mixtures along with the soymilk and vanilla until it forms a soft dough. Flatten the dough till it's a few centimeters thick and cut out pieces. I used 2 inch circles, which gave me 10 scones. Bake at 430 F for 12-14 minutes.

These are best eaten plain or with a small pat of butter, warm out of the oven. Traditionally, scones are eaten with jam and clotted cream, but in my opinion, these are flavorful enough on their own.



After weeks of 90 degrees, I'm sure my tomato plant enjoyed these sudden blasts of rainstorm. Hopefully the little green tomatoes will start to ripen soon, so I can enjoy them before I return to school in just a few weeks. Crazy how time flies! Thankfully the weather will be clearing up this afternoon, and I look forward to the start of the Boston Summer Arts Festival with a crazy hour of Ultimate Bootcamp (a.k.a. getting my butt kicked by "high energy fitness trainers") by the Boston harbor tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. WHAT??? ARE THERE ANY LEFT??? WHEN DID YOU DO ALL THIS? I WANT ONE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I made these the week you were supposed to come back but didn't! :P And of course I'll make something when you do.

      Delete