Thursday, December 31, 2015

food resolutions of 2016

I have an infinite plethora of plans for 2016. Among them include finishing my thesis, graduating college and getting a job. In between the tears and long date nights with black tea and my textbooks, I am really, really looking forward to...

5 THINGS TO MAKE IN 2016

homemade vanilla/mint extract
Enough of the diluted, pricey nonsense! The moment I turned 21, I've been itching to head to the liquor store and buy a nice, big bottle of vodka. And while many other freshly 21 year-olds may experience that same "itch", they probably aren't also planning to stuff their precious liquid courage with mint leaves or vanilla beans...Well, what can I say, I have a giant mint bush in my backyard, calling my name.


baked donuts (a dairy free and vegan version)
The first time I tried baking donuts (which was, like, one week ago), I made something else. Let's just say my visions of a glorious tower of mini matcha donuts - stacked to resemble a Christmas tree - didn't translate so well into reality. They were crumbly and chaotic, and most important, I can totally do so much better. I look forward to spending the coming 366 days finding the dairy free or vegan donut recipe of my dreams.
*sob* Anyone up for crumbly donuts?
black sesame 
I love black sesame desserts in indescribable ways. Their taste is reminiscent of peanut butter, and there's a Chinese belief that it'll keep hair black 4eva (although at the moment I'm not sure it could be any other color). I love it so much that I will happily and shamelessly down cup after cup of black sesame soup, much to the curiosity of my housemates, to whom it probably looks like I'm aggressively slurping down black tar. Well, I pretty much do eat everything, so.. Hence, I think it would be a fun idea to devise some recipes (perhaps bread? mochi? cake?) that make black sesame the star of the show.


(ratchet) mochi
Who knew we could recreate this ancient, laborious traditional dessert with a microwave and the right ingredients? Ah, the *magic* of technology. I'm honestly curious how microwave mochi will turn out, and whether it can achieve the same impossibly pillowy texture. On the topic of black sesame, one of my favorite black sesame desserts is black sesame mochi.

The time-honored, labor-intensive tradition of making mochi.
Versus, the borderline sacrilegious 10 minute version of making mochi. 

chickpea water aka aquafaba
Aquafaba, or chickpea water, is the new-ish ingredient transforming the vegan baking world. Believe it or not, you can whip the chickpea brine (yes, direct from the can) into a fabulous egg-white substitute. Life-changing, I know. I tried doing this for my sister's vegan birthday spongecake, and sure, I failed miserably, but I learned 3 crucial lessons: 1. Aquafaba is indeed witchcraft and whips up beautifully like egg whites. 2. Chickpea brine is, well, briny. Duh, right? It impacts the taste of what ever you are making. 3. My whip attachment does not reach the bottom of my mixing bowl, which explains why, for the longest time, my mixture failed to whip properly.


Finally, in honor of a fabulous 2015 and to another year of kitchen adventures, here are photos of the vegan birthday sponge cake I surprised my sister with. 

I present to you: Green tea sponge "roulade" with homemade strawberry jam & vegan carob whipped cream. And a hint of chickpea brine. One of my proudest creations yet. 


Wow, what an appetizing color combination.


Resist your urge to lick the screen. Please.

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment