Saturday, May 9, 2015

coconut banana bread [df]


Someday in the future, someone will invent something that will allow us to deliver scents virtually. But before that day arrives, you can only trust my words when I describe how fruity and comforting this coconut banana bread smells while baking in the oven.

The secret to flavorful banana bread lies in the ripeness of the bananas. You're looking for the browning, beyond freckly bananas because those are the sweetest and easiest to mash. When they turn black, they take on a mild fermented flavor.


Actually, I don't often get to make banana bread because the bananas are usually in my stomach by then. I will only eat freckled bananas because I love my fruit very ripe. However, most of my friends prefer them at their yellow stage, and for a while my love of overripe bananas became a running joke, and I was frequently the *lucky* recipient of forgotten, bottom-of-the-backpack overripe bananas.


I didn't add too much sugar - 1/4 cup - so as to let the banana and coconut flavor come through. This way, the bread is just sweet enough. If you are looking for something more sweet, I recommend adding up to an extra 1/4 cup of sugar to the recipe.


coconut banana bread [df]
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup white granulated sugar, packed
3 medium-sized bananas, very ripe
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbs milk (I used coconut)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
Optional: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, chopped walnuts

1. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and (optional) spices.
2. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Then, incorporate the wet ingredients - beaten eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla, milk.
3. Fold the dry and wet mixtures together until moistened. Fold in the coconut flakes.
4. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan (I used 9x4), and bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment