Thursday, December 18, 2014

chewy gingerbread cookies (final week baking frenzy continued)

Eating our people
Last year, I made gingerbread cookies that were dark and molasses-y and snapped with every bite. This year, I wanted a cookie that was chewier - as in, they weren't meant to build houses with. That's when I saw a recipe for Super soft gingerbread cookies by Emily from Layers of Happiness, which she describes as "Tender and slightly chewy...Packed with ginger, cinnamon and molasses flavor...Seriously addictive." Gee, it's like she read my mind.

These are indeed soft and chewy, spicy and absolutely scrumptious. I toned down the spices from the original recipe, and I've included my changes below. Even then, the cookies still tasted like Christmas, and I'll be making them again for sure. (Shhh...My father even said they were better than the gingerbread cookies the lady from his office makes!)

chewy gingerbread people (slightly altered from Layers of Happiness)
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 Tbs unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla

Yields ~20 gingerbread men, with leftover scraps to get creative with


No comments:

Post a Comment