Saturday, December 27, 2014

PB&J sandwich...cake?


So this is how I imagine it goes:
You: But we already know how to make PB&J sandwiches!
Me: Well, ohohoho...this isn't a sandwich, silly. It's a cake! Ohohoho...
My sister got me this awesome sandwich-shaped cake pan for Christmas, and I am obsessed. There's something so captivating and amusing about food looking and tasting like other food. Like this incredibly realistic Asparagus Cake by one of my favorite bloggers, Rosie of Sweetapolita. It might not sound like an appealing combination, but that's where the fun lies. I love that element of surprise and unpredictability. It's the sweetest kind of deception.

"School lunch"...but better...because it's cake.
I originally wanted to make a fluff cake-wich, but I settled on a classic PB & J, using some homemade apple jam I made a couple months ago. (Fun fact: Fluff was invented in Somerville, MA, and every year the city holds a Fluff Fest. I feel obligated to go now.)

I used a vegan vanilla cake recipe, and the cake barely rose during baking. However, the color and texture made for a convincing "bread" look, which was fun. Next time, I'll try another recipe, though.

You can't really see the filling, but it's there.
Look out for more cake-wiches! :) And definitely comment below if you have any ideas or cake-wich requests!

No comments:

Post a Comment