Thursday, April 23, 2015

new favorite: chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies by Wanna Come With?


While I was never a fan of spicy - a couple shakes of black pepper sends me reaching for water - I've gradually come to appreciate the fiery evils of capsaicin through eating, of all things, chocolate.

Confession: I generally loathe spicy food, but I love spicy chocolate. Whether its chili powder or a strong dose of cinnamon, spicy chocolate has such an awesome, unexpected flavor. It's almost thrilling.


That's why these Chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies by Laurel are amazing. They are chewy and gooey, spicy and aromatic. They're like eating a spiced, fudgy gingerbread brownie. The combination of ground ginger with freshly grated ginger creates a satisfying kick that may even leave the slightest bit of heat lingering in your mouth. Yay.

These are the (minor) adjustments I made to Laurel's recipe. Aside from these tweaks, I followed her recipe as written, and the cookies turned out fantastic. I urge you to try these.
  • I increased the cocoa powder from 1 Tbs to 2 1/2 Tbs.
  • I used white sugar instead of brown sugar because that's all I had on hand, although apparently you can "make" brown sugar by combining 1 cup white sugar with 1-2 Tbs molasses, which I (unintentionally) did in this recipe.
  • I used both semisweet dark and white chocolate chips.
"Eat me! If you still trust my food. (I swear these are brussel sprout-free)."

No comments:

Post a Comment